Sunday, June 7, 2015

Humor makes life easy..

I have a fantastic ability to laugh it off.. I find it makes my life less complicated.. I feel that many things people do or say, is not to provoke but rather because they do not think enough before opening their mouths.. I have never been what regular folks would call 'thin'.. I was a chubby kid with a good appetite.. Because of the afore mentioned appetite; I became quite obese during my late teens and then (through a lot or motivation from my aunt) made life style changes, exercised every day and lost a staggering amount of weight and became shapely.. Around the same time, I met my sweetheart and la di da di da, love story of a life time, marriage and then pregnancy.. Well I'm afraid the pregnancy was not kind to me at all and I gained a huge amount of weight during those months.. I never managed to get the weight off, and now after my third baby, I am pretty overweight..

So... Anyone reading this and overweight into the bargain would know, the world is never fair nor kind to us.. With all the 'fat' movies (yes, I'm referring to 'Big Momma's House' and 'Norbit' and the 'Nutty professor' and I'm sure there are plenty more) and jokes, we have too many people having a laugh at our expense, it does get on ones nerve.. I've learned to laugh it off.. Recently I met an uncle of my husband who commented on my weight gain pretty badly and asked me 'why I don't take some medicine'?? I smiled quite sweetly and asked him to let me know what and where such a miraculous remedy can be bought.. He pretended not to hear.. I was expecting my second child when my husbands grand mother passed away and while I was attending the wake, one of his aunts approached me and asked me why I don't strive to lose weight.. I said 'Hello, pregnant lady here'; and I dearly wished to say, 'and for your information, in this part of the game, the goal is to put on, not lose weight', although I kept it to myself ;-) It was around my fifth month and she was quite taken back.. Nevertheless she had the impertinence to tell my mother in law while I was in the vicinity,
"both my nieces are overweight and they are married for so many years and haven't yet conceived"
To be honest, I felt like boxing her ears, but in my defense, I was highly hormonal at that point.. But I managed to find it extremely funny later on when I retold the entire episode to my husband.. Especially while remembering how flabbergasted her face looked as she digested my news.. LOL..

Yesterday I went grocery shopping with my family in tow.. As hubby and I can only manage two at one given setting outside of home, my second was left in the care of his grand parents while we were out.. I was approached by quite an obese lady, who eyed me relentlessly while I carried my youngest who is quite a dapper chap of seven months and my daughter who was fussing with this and that.. She very politely asked if she could ask me a question.. I am friendly if nothing else, so said why not quite cheerily.. She wanted to ask me if I had seen a fertility specialist or been on fertility medication or such in order to conceive.. To be honest, I wasn't surprised.. I said thank the good Lord no.. It was all accidental, unplanned and sometimes I found out two months delayed.. She said her doctor had said she had too much fat deposited in her ovaries that was why she had not conceived.. Although my heart went out to her as well as her spouse, there wasn't anything helpful I could say, except maybe try to lose weight, but then it'll be a case of the 'pot calling the kettle black'.. I could understand how sheer desperation drove her to speak to a complete stranger about something so personal.. But all the same, as I relayed it all to my hubby, I felt thankful, that although I may have been unable to find the time to exercise with taking care of my kids fulltime or unable to stick to a really good diet with the demands on my time by my little rugrats.. I had them.. Three blessed souls I wouldn't exchange for silver nor gold.. So that's why I need 'humor'.. Because I like to invest all the passion and energy and living on my family and the things I love to do, than on meaningless frustrations over the things people may or may not say or do.. 'Life is for the living' so the saying goes, so I choose to "LIVE" and also 'let live'.. And with 'humor' on my side, its one battle that I won't be losing..

No comments:

Post a Comment