Thursday, June 4, 2015

Scary is the way to go...

Ok.. So.. My mom figured it was just a "kid" thing and that sooner or later (stressing mostly on the sooner) that I would just grow out of my fascination for horror movies, books, you get my drift.. When she realized even as a teen I was still inclined to enjoy a good scary movie, I think she prayed for me :-) But that was a long time ago.. I'm not a teen anymore, I grew up, did the whole fairy tale 'meetcute', married the fella of my dreams, did the baby thing three times mind you; so I have three little rugrats driving me nuts, but I still love horror..

I am aware that there are all sorts of people living in this world.. I mean, most of the people who know me, are so surprised I fancy horror.. I'm a natural comic, facial expressions, the funny stories, I got them all.. So it begs the question, what is it, that comes to mind of a person who is interested in that genre of entertainment??? I pondered on this one day, (generally I'm a mom who gets very little 'me time' with three kids under the age of four, but on a weirdly quieter day, I reckoned this was how do you say it? Food for thought!!). When we friends get together and we talk movies, and I chip in with my latest movie talk, my friends look at me bewildered, and say 'really? You're still a horror junkie?'.. And they vividly say, 'oh, I could never watch movies like that, hearing it even makes my skin crawl'.. So, why does it entertain me so much???

BTW, I am sure horror fans would know what I am talking about here.. I do not, consider slasher films, or blood and gore films into the category I like to watch.. Hello.. I mean movies like 'Hostel', 'SAW', and 'I spit on your grave' etc. There is something about blood which really repels such movies for me.. Give me a supernatural unexplainable, ghostly, poltergeist or possession orientated movie and I would love that.. Add my little brother as my 'watch together' list and you've pretty much made my day.. In the good old days, which I fondly remember, I'd watch all the horror I could get my paws on with my younger brother.. He's just as interested, so smart that he'd probably guess the plot thirty minutes into the movie, he'd seldom be bothered by the story after watching it (like you know, afraid to sleep alone, afraid to sleep in the dark etc.). We lived in Kandy, which is a beautiful city in the central province of our Island Sri Lanka.. The place we lived was called Anniewatte, which is beautiful and residential, although our country is a tropical one, Kandy is located in the mountain region, where it is generally cooler and more likely to expect rain fall.. And on a specially rainy like day, around 4 p.m is ideal ambiance to get you in the mood to watch a haunted tale.. The sun is setting, and mist is streaming in and we would settle into comfy chairs before the tv.. It was fantastic.. My mom stopped bothering me 15 years ago.. LOL ..

I tried to think about how people are attracted to certain things, like some of us love to do needle work, or paint, or cook or read.. So like maybe there are characteristics of why we get attracted to certain things.. Like my husband loves comedy or action.. He absolutely abhors anything to do with horror.. I have read the unabridged versions of Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde, assortments of horror, including MR James, Edger Allen Poe, and many other assortments of ghost stories.. So why does it attract me so? I am a very dedicated Roman Catholic, I am a warm and loving person, I don't lurk about graveyards, nor am I a goth person, no offence to any person being such.. All of these are just common cliches, I am not an unkind person, nor a sadist.. I think I like to believe that outside of our comfort zone that there are unexplainable events, which some people have encountered.. That being said, I also love to know that regardless of the poltergeist who scares the shit out of you, or shakes you like a rag doll, it can be conquered with faith in God and prayers and the people who are out there who come and help families portrayed in these stories.. People who put their own lives at risk for those of complete strangers.. I guess, that's why I watch.. That although it is all messed up and looks beyond hope, that there is always hope as long as you hold onto it.. Believe me I hate the ones which end with the main protagonist dying, for example, off the top of my head, 'Drag me to hell' (come'on she put on such a fight, and yet bites the dust, no fair), 'The Grudge' (don't get it, don't expect to either), 'The last exorcism' (What a freakin' waste of time)..

So, yes, I love horror.. Not just books, movies, tv series (supernatural, ghost whisperer, American Horror Story etc), even the documentaries like Discovery channel's "a haunting' or SciFi's 'paranormal witness, paranormal zone'.. So I guess, the main reason being, I love the surge of adrenaline it produces.. I even watched such movies while I was heavily pregnant, well you know what they say about bad habits? Exactement, 'they die hard'... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment